Saturday, August 10, 2013

I'M IN AFRICA!

Wow, I've been in Africa less than a week and yet it feels so much longer. I cannot believe the amazing opportunity I have to serve here in Lilongwe for a year.


The Streets of Malawi
The adventure began last Sunday evening when I left my wonderful family at the gate of the DIA airport. It was so hard to say goodbye, but the excitement of the unknown pulled me forward. The travel process ended up being better than I could have hoped. I sat next to the nicest people, and in London met up with another girl going to ABC. Three flights and two layovers later, I arrived in Malawi, Africa.


It smelled like Africa as soon as I was off the plane. I don't know how really to describe it, but Africa smells and feels different than America. I had memories of my trip in 2009 to Zambia and South Africa when I first decided to become a teacher.. Finally, that day had come!


Rickety African Bridge
(Apparently knocked down every rainy season and rebuilt)
We were met by smiling faces and welcoming arms, the ABC staff were so friendly. It was like we were old friends. This feeling has continued all week. I have yet to cook a meal for myself, as all the families are having us over for dinner. There have been game nights, potlucks, shopping trips, and workout sessions. People here just have an openness that seems to be missing in America. The culture here is more relationship than success focused.


 
Shopping
This week I have also already had my first shopping and market experience. Let me just say, I may be living off cereal and rice for the next year. Cooking here is completely from scratch. Forget about finding the same ingredients as in America, unless you plan on spending a fortune. I also realized how much I have to learn. I am the immigrant who doesn't understand how to count money, or who nods and laughs at all the wrong times. But I am thrilled about the opportunity to discover so many new things!

Food at the Market
With all of this going on, it is no wonder I haven't had much time to write! School here starts in a little over a week, which is actually what is giving me the most anxiety. As a first year teacher, there are so many details to organize and think about. My classroom is coming along well though :)

 
 
Scavenger Hunt
All in all, I am so blessed to be here at ABC. It hasn't even been a week and I already have so many stories (like finding a lizard in my bathroom, riding in a mini bus with twenty people, scavenger hunts, and crossing rickety bridges to reach overcrowded markets).


 
 
Thank you to everyone who has supported me both with prayers and finances. I am exactly where God has called me to be and that wouldn't be possible without the love and support of everyone back home. I find myself constantly thinking and saying..."I'M IN AFRICA!" It just seems so unbelievable that I am actually living out my dream.

I hope to share with you all more of my journey soon!

Love,

Danielle






3 comments:

  1. HI DANIELLA
    THIS IS TRULY A BLESSING! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!THANK YOU FOR SHARING.SINCE I DON'T SEE MYSELF GOING TO AFRICA ANYTIME IN THE FUTURE ,I WILL LIVE IT THROUGH YOU!
    LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR NEXT BLOG!
    LAURA VIEAU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing about all your adventures! I could just see you perfectly "nodding and laughing at all the wrong times". I'm sure they think you are adorable!
    Lots of love,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle!

    I am so proud of you girl! This will be such an incredible experience, and it is so great that you are making a commitment for such a long period of time.

    I am living in South Africa right now, and you are so right... there is definitely a distinct African smell haha. Anyways, prayers will be constantly headed your way!!

    ReplyDelete