Monday, March 17, 2014

More than just a movie...


It is hard to believe that it’s already March. Only three and a half months until I am home! The closer it comes, the more eager I am. One of the things I’m most excited about is sharing the stories that I’ve witnessed here with all of you. Writing just cannot quite convey the depth of these experiences.

In the last couple weeks, I have felt less motivated and a little of a burn out. This isn’t a constant feeling, but I just have felt lacking in my abilities and purpose. Teaching is a very difficult profession- it is hard to always be giving and pouring out. But I think the biggest problem is that I find myself relying on what I can do and my knowledge. This will always eventually run out. The source of my strength should always come from Christ. Sometimes I get caught up with grading papers, writing lessons, and the never-ending list of tasks to complete. Yet it’s the simplest, smallest experiences that remind me of what is truly important.





The kids at Children of the Nations (COTN) are a testimony to what God is doing here in Malawi. The more time I spend there, the more I see God’s hand. One Saturday night three of us teachers here packed up a laptop, the Disney movie Frozen, popcorn, and cookies and headed to COTN. As usual, the kids were thrilled to see us. They always yell out “Auntie Dani!” and run with open arms towards us. Dinner was prepared for us; Malawian culture is very hospitable. They are eager to serve and make guests feel comfortable. Before beginning the movie, the kids participated in their nightly routine of singing praise songs and praying. I don’t know if there is anything more precious than listening to child, on their knees, praying to God.





After this, all the children gathered on the rug and scooted around our laptop screen. They were enthralled by the movie and loved the snacks we brought them! The language barrier made it difficult for them to understand the plot, but they didn’t care. However, sitting and watching the movie with them made me want to do more. How would they react if they could watch this on a big screen? How could we provide more for them? I kept thinking how amazing a projector would be in this situation. I mentioned this to my family, who discussed the idea with my church. Immediately, they offered to buy and send over a projector! I am in awe of how God works. My faith is so weak and my trust in him falters, yet still he provides. A movie may seem so insignificant to all of us who are blessed. Nonetheless, to these kids it is more than just a movie, but also an expression of love.





Since this experience, I have realized that I have limited God. If I do not ask, how can I ever receive? So, I am going to open the opportunity up to all of you to give. The COTN kids greatly need shoes, underwear, socks, and school supplies. Each of those thirty kids could use a backpack with supplies inside and a new pair of tennis shoes. There are about ten kids between the ages of 5-10, ten kids who are 10-12 years old, and ten kids that are 12-15. In addition to these, there are a hundred village children that come to our Thursday outreach in urgent need of shoes and school supplies.





On April 15th, a crate will be sent over from Mississippi to ABC. On this can be placed any items I would need for the coming year. If any of you are willing to put together a small gift for one of these kids, now is the time! It is much cheaper and easier to send a box to Mississippi than to Malawi. All you would need to do is address the package to:

 

ABC (Africa Bible Colleges)

5343 Clinton Blvd. Jackson, MS 39209
…and then just put somewhere on the box: Danielle Jenson Academy Fourth Grade

           

 

God calls each of us to care for orphans and widows. James 1:27 solidifies this purpose,
          “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans
            and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”Helping these children is a ministry that is pure and righteous. Showing them love in the smallest of ways makes a huge impact. Pray and see what God is leading you to do and more importantly, pray for these kids- that their hearts will continue to be open and sensitive to Him.

Thank you for all of you who are reading these stories and praying for me. I am so grateful for the wonderful partnership I have with all of you in
America. I am only an extension of the hearts, prayers, and love of people back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment