Monday, March 3, 2014

The Only Thing that Counts


I know it has been a very long time since I have written. It’s not that I haven’t thought about it or wanted to write, but more the difficulty of forming my thoughts, interactions, and experiences into written words.




My life here in Malawi has fallen into a routine of sorts. Experiences that were once foreign seem natural and normal. Driving on the opposite side of the road, seeing women carrying buckets atop their heads, and buying a dead chicken, bananas, and phone minutes in the same transaction on the road side are not unusual. I never could have imagined the turns this year would take and the unbelievable things I would encounter. Malawi has such beauty and yet, at the same time, so much darkness and poverty. Why does this poverty exist? How can there be money wasted while children are scrounging for food in trash cans?





Since I last wrote, I had the privilege of traveling to South Africa on a 38 hour bus ride and spending time in the beautiful city of Cape Town. While there, I was able to go to places like movie theaters, delicious restaurants, beaches, wineries, malls, coffee houses, etc. It was so relaxing and enjoyable! Although I loved my vacation in South Africa, returning to Malawi was a reality check and caused me to reevaluate myself. What investment am I truly making in Malawi? Am I just here to hang out for a year, take some pictures with African kids, bargain in the market, and call it good?



I have realized that I want to make an impact here in Malawi. I want to be intentional about helping those in need. The future of Malawi lies with the kids like my students at ABC and Children of the Nations. In order to truly leave something behind, I have to invest my time, money, and resources into these kids. A few weeks ago I was at the market when a little girl named Mary approached me asking for money. This is not an uncommon sight, but something about her struck me differently. I bought her a meal and, with the language barrier, attempted to ask about her life. Her mother and three siblings beg for money. She has no father and lives in a nearby village.

 

Mary then lead me to where her mother sat, in front of a bank, hand outstretched, begging. Lisa (her mother) was almost smaller than eight year old Mary. She held a baby in her sickly arms and smiled up at me. Something about this family stuck with me.  The verse that comes to mind is Galatians 5:6 “The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.” In life, what truly matters is loving others. All I can really leave behind here is Christ’s love. Nothing else I give will ever be enough without that love.





All this to say, I think that I am called to express my faith through expending my energy and devoting my time to helping people. I only have four months left here! After everything I have seen, I don’t feel like one year is enough. Thus, I have made the decision to return next year!

I appreciate and need your prayers and support. There is no possible way I could be here without all of the people back home. I will try and update more often and share more stories and lessons I am learning here. Each day I am reminded how much I need Christ.  I am growing so much in my faith and learning to look beyond the comfortable. Thank you to all of you who are sharing this adventure with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment